Sunday, February 13, 2005

Light Posting...

I haven't been posting a lot here lately (shame on me). In part it's because I'm trying to write some other stuff, mostly I have an idea for a short story (possibly something longer). In The Idiot Dostoevsky writes a bit about one character's dream and he touches on an aspect of dreams that I've sometimes wondered about. That is, about the profoundness of some dreams. They may be bizarre or dirty or obscure, but every once in a while you have a dream and when you wake up, you have this sense that something really important happened. The dream may have been ridiculous (aren't most dreams) but there is something in there that you feel the need to hold on to. There is some sort of truth in that dream. Not particularly a revelation of something you did not know (like prophecy) but rather all sorts of ideas and emotions crystalize and your truest understanding of them occurs in the allegory of your dream. The idea I have right now is to explore the truths of dreams throught the medium of prose storytelling. So anyway, that's why I have been scarce around here. I may post excerpts of the story here, I'm not sure yet.