Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Quid Pro Quo

Right now there is a certain hysteria in Toronto about gun violence. Now crime in Canada has been declining over the years and Toronto has one of the lower crime rates among major North American cities, but every time there's a clump murders all at once, the media and the police (though they are more restrained now that Herr Fantino is gone) do like to exploit it. I don't particularly want to add to that clamour, but I do have an idea. The guns used in these killings are generally thought to be smuggled here from the US. At the same time, the DEA's reefer madness about pot coming from Canada has got them trying to get Canadian authorities to do their dirty work.

My solution: Canada will work to limit pot smuggling when the US works to curtail weapons smuggling. The US can keeps its guns, we'll keep our pot, I know which one frightens me more...