Thursday, June 22, 2006

Morality and Law

I was bouncing around the internet when I discovered this post about Christians engaging in Canadian politics. The post describes the problem of legislating morality - that is to say that the law code of the state can never be a substitute for morality. To this, I would like to add one more example that is seldom used, Christianity (as well as other religions I wager) teaches that gossip is immoral. Yet gossip would be specifically protected by the charter as a form of speech.

Actually, this could be a whole thought experiment, what would your life be like if the Canadian law codes were your only moral guide? Well, if I consider it personally, I don't think it would lead me to live a particularly ethical life.

Morality does not, cannot, and should not always align with legality. Making something like same-sex marriage permissable in the law says absolutely nothing about any Canadian's personal moral code.