Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Take that Ahmadinejad! I win!


Time magazine has told me that I am their person of the year. That's right, me and not you, and it wasn't like I was actually trying either! I am the person of the year - and so is everyone else who looks at their novelty cover and sees a mirror at least. Actually, not really a mirror, more like a shiny piece of plastic that may or may reflect a vague and horrifying image of the viewer.

So yeah, you lose Ahmadinejad, you too Rumsfeld, Cheney, Congressional Democrats. What's that you say? Time magazine has lost its nerve since 2001 when it chickened out on putting bin Laden on the cover? Too bad, I win all the same.

Speaking of losing Ahmadinejad, your peeps in Iran lost a whack of local elections. As Josh Marshall points out, this probably has a lot more to do with jobs and the economy than your lunatics anonymous meeting Holocaust conference. Either way, it'd be nice to see you go down to electoral defeat. Between that and the recent student protests, I am actually cautiously optimistic about Iran's future.*

*That is of course as long as Western powers don't try a regime change repeat. I'm looking at you Bill Kristol.
Tags: , ,