Tuesday, March 20, 2007

No Tax Break For You!

I suppose I could call this the Soup Nazi budget, because, I don't think that I personally get anything out of it. In many regards, that's fine, I'm a simple man not pining for tax breaks or other goodies. There is however one thing that particularly sticks in my craw:

Everyone who has kids gets a tax break (yes, poor families need it, I don't begrudge low-income single moms one cent of what they'll get). Does everyone with kids need such a break. The census just came out and Canada already has one of the fastest growing populations in the industrialized world. Sure our growth comes through immigration, but growth is growth.

Either way, what bugs me is that every household gets this. Go past an affluent suburban high school and see what the parents (or the kids) are driving. What does a family that bustles about in a Porsche Cayenne really need in the way of child tax breaks? What will a few hundred get them anyway? A tank of gas?

Labels: , ,