Monday, June 18, 2007

Who watches Canadian NASCAR anyway?

I have a confession: I used to like auto racing. A lot. I went to races, I knew the names of a ridiculous number of drivers. I could rhyme off all kinds of stats, results, whatever. One thing stands out though, I never cared about Canadian stock car racing. The sad thing is, I cannot figure out who does. There are other smaller series that may lead someone onto greater things (Formula 1, Indy stuff like that) Canadian stock car racing is not going to be one of those things though, never has been.

As a hobby (aside from the emissions implications) it's fine. I'm sure it's fun for the drivers, the crews and their friends and families. It is not, however, anything that remotely reaches a wide audience. So who exactly is being reached by the Conservatives with this approach? If I recall, it's probably a pretty conservative bunch of people. In other words, how does this expand their base? Even race car fans, for the most part, would probably rather watch the Nextel Cup on TV than go over to a racetrack and watch the Conservomobile rumble around.

Labels: , ,