Friday, October 19, 2007

Scared Conservative

As an urban voter, apparently I'm supposed to be thankful about the crime bill that the Conservatives are introducing because I'm supposedly living in fear of crime all the time. Consider this wonderful wording by Harper as pointed out by Carol Goar today:
"Canadians feel less safe today and rightly worry about the security of their neighbourhoods and country,"
Of course one cannot truthfully say that Canadians are less safe today, so instead tell us that we feel less safe. Brilliant. The effect to the casual listener is exactly the same, hearing about things being "less safe" and worries about "security." The values of the Conservative party are, by and large, not my values, so I suppose they are hoping that I can at least be frightened into supporting them.

Labels: ,