Monday, February 20, 2006

Mild Yet Pleasant Surprise

Previously I had written off Hawksley Workman for A) a stupid and obviously fake stage name (that can't be his real name can it?) and B) the fact that the first single of his that I heard, Jealous of your Cigarette was about the most transparently sophomoric song until My Humps*. But yesterday I was listening to Lesley's iPod and heard a song of his that was actually quite good. I'm not sure quite how to describe it, but I was mildly surprised that this was the same guy. I suppose I should know better, that I should I know that singles are often a poor representation of an artist's work.

*Look Black Eyed Peas, you aren't getting off that easy. Remember the days before Fergie, remember when you had some shreds of credibility? I saw you at the Warped tour in 1999, you were something else then. I have a Black Eyed Peas sticker on my Gibson's case, but I think I'll have to remove it. No one else has disgraced themselves enough to warrant a sticker removal.