Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Why do I have to look at this every time I come to the US?

This is the flag of the state of Mississippi. Every time I cross the border (something that I do at least once a week these days) I see the flags of all fifty states above the US customs checkpoint. Among these flags of course is this one you see here. Now I know that there are all kinds of Southern Civil War apologists who would be all too eager to tell me all about how this flag really represents chivalry or something, but come on... For better or worse this flag is associated with slavery and the hundred years of legally-enforced racial discrimination that followed it. I'm sorry White Southern conservatives but I see this flag, and I think that it is a disgrace to the United States. That's right, a disgrace. In my time in the US (incidently that's where I'm posting this from) I have encountered so many decent and generous people and yet, to have this holdover from a sorry part of American history as part of the first impression that is created for visitors is a travesty. The citizens of Mississippi owe it to themselves and their fellow citizens to get a better flag.