Thursday, September 14, 2006

Chucky Sleaze (aka: Charles McVety)

A couple days ago Charles McVety the president of a relatively obscure Pentecostal college debated Tory MP, Garth Turner on Michael Coren's show. McVety came off, as usual, as a smarmy asshole. This man is two-faced in the extreme and has an incredible persecution complex. Garth Turner - of whom I'm no particular fan comes off as Winston Churchill compared to this jackass. Keith once pointed out to me that McVety is - or ought to be - a relatively minor figure to Christianity in Canada. The problem is that he refuses to play that role. The man is making a name for himself as some kind of marriage "defender." I worry that his schtick may some day pay off, that he's set on becoming some kind of national voice for Christianity - or at least his brand thereof.

This man disgusts me. He slammed Turner for making slurs against him, but called Garth "undemocratic" and labeled him as an atheist simply because he claimed to not be religious. It simply does not follow that "not religious" = "atheist." Antony Flew, a longtime atheist philosopher, recently postulated that there was, in fact, a god. So he seems to be a theist (more precisely, probalby a deist), but he still disagrees with anything that most organised religions would say. Oops, sorry Chuck. I have no idea if this is what Turner believes, and really, I don't care. The point is that McVety blubbers on about Turner being this or that.

McVety is entitled to his views, he is entitled to say them where and when he wants. But I am entitled to my view too, and my view, Mr. McVety, is that you are a despicable, small-minded man using your CCC fiefdom to attack your crippling fears of homosexuality.

(HT: Jim)
Tags: , ,