Sunday, October 08, 2006

Another Season...


This weekend marks what is probably the last time I'll make it up north for another year. At least in the context of cottage season, the time for that is over till next May. My family never had any kind of vacation property while I was growing up, so I suppose I have always approached them with a sort of outsider view.

The central idea behind a cottage is a sort of escape. Really good vacation spots are able to make you forget. Afghanistan? Iraq? "Steve" Harper? Whatever...

Even my own life is forgetten! Lesson plans? Marking? Bills? It's all been left somewhere that you have managed to transcend by looking at trees with coloured leaves and some sort of gentle lakescape.

It all tempts me to want to live the escape, find a place up north and just live there. But this is an illusion, because if your escape is permanent it's not your escape, is it? Get set up in one place and all your responsibilities will eventually track you to it. So I escaped for a day, now I am back.
Tags: .