Monday, January 01, 2007

2006, we hardly knew ye...

On personal note, I think '06 was a fairly good, if a bit intense for me. I don't know what 2007 holds for me though, hopefully more money now that I'm done with school (for the time being at least).

But what about 2006?


(Hard to believe that that song is ten years old, now that it's 2007.)

Now, as to why I might but that song out there. Well, 2006 was a lot history repeating.

"Steve" Harper became the Prime Minister, promising to clean up the government and end corruption, blah, blah, blah. I don't have the time or the inclination to categorize and rank governments on their levels of corruption. To me corruption is endemic to government - in any governmental system under any party, so I really didn't buy the "clean government" line from Harper. It's just a new set of patronage beneficiaries really. And it looks like I was proved right.

Saddam got it, and the neocons started casting about for another dictator to replace him. It must be nice to be a full-time pundit. In the course of three years, you can go from some sort of naive neo-Wilsonianism back to the so-called "realist" foreign policy outlook. All the while the consequences of your projects, either overthrowing or imposing dictators simply do not reach you in any real way.

Iraqis on the other hand, have been caught in a nasty loop of history ever since Spring 2003. You know, "Once we [the US] complete the invasion/power transfer/elections/constitution drafting/other elections/killing of Zarqawi/trial of Saddam/execution of Saddam things are gonna be totally awesome!