Friday, February 02, 2007

Ootes' Stupid Trailer Park

Over on Spacing, it is revealed that Toronto City Councillor Case Ootes wants to turn Toronto into a magnet for RVs. What? I'm not an expert on RV culture, but somehow, all the other major cities I've been to in North America seem to attract tourists with installing large RV parks. To my knowledge no one has proposed using Central Park as an RV park.

This is the dumbest idea I've heard of to attract tourists. I thought the point of RVs or trailers or whatever was to take them to scenic areas that were remote from modern amenities, like the Grand Canyon, or Florida. (Why else are you traveling with a built-in stove and toilet?) Toronto, I'm pleased to announce, has running water, flush toilets, stoves, refrigeration facilities, and comfortable mattresses. RV owners, if you wish to see Toronto, you need not drag all those things here with you. We have them already! Just pack your clothes and your toothbrush, though if you want, you may buy those items here too!