Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Partition Nonsense Again

I really don't blog a lot about Quebec politics, because, well, I don't know a lot about the topic. That said, here I go again on Quebec politics. Charest apparently got caught in some sort of gaffe over partitioning Quebec after a hypothetical "Yes" vote on a referendum (HT). He says it was a slip of the tongue, but who knows? Once again I'd have to reiterate my point from yesterday: it might be emotionally satisfying for federalists to talk about partition of Quebec, but I cannot see it working.

What regions, municipalities, neighbourhoods would get to stay in Canada? How could the governments of Canada and a sovereign Quebec manage territory that would look like a bunch of patchwork farms on a political map? There are a variety of things that federalists can do to create disincentives for separatism, partition is not one of them.

Labels: , ,