Monday, April 16, 2007

Churches need a lesson from bars


Nathan caught this tidbit about churches that are attempting to reach out to men by being more, uh, manly. The article starts with this:
"No hymnals. No pews. No steeple. No stained glass windows. And no women."
While I don't know about pews or hymnals, I had always thought that the best way to fill a room with men is to put women in it first. Am I being sexist? I don't think so, I'm just observing how many bars and clubs always charge a cover for men while giving women the option of a "ladies night" where they get in free. It may not seem fair, but it is a proven business model.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I must confess I don't really *get* this idea of churches trying to appeal to macho men with all these manly men things to do. If anything they are creating churches for boys, I mean, how puerile is a "no girls allowed" rule?
Picture: Buddy Christ doesn't care if you're a manly man, everyone gets a wink and a gun!

Labels: ,