Thursday, April 12, 2007

Words about a man I never read

I was told, perhaps sometimes even admonished to read Vonnegut. I never did though, I don't know why, but I never did. He's on a very long and distinguished list of people I've never gotten around to reading despite my intentions. Dennis Perrin's eulogy for him today though might just push Vonnegut to the top of the should-read pile:
"Thousands upon thousands of words will be typed and uttered on Vonnegut's behalf, most of them useless, many attaching grand themes to his work and philosophical outlook. But it's really simple: Kurt Vonnegut had a first-rate imagination, wrote clear prose, and proposed that people be kind to one another. He distrusted authority and painted those looking to rule us as clowns."
That sounds like someone worth reading.

Labels: ,