Thursday, October 12, 2006

RightGirl is in the wrong city...

Once in a while I take a peek at the Shotgun - Canada's repository for ultra-right bric-a-brac. Today I saw a post endorsing anyone other than David Miller in Toronto's mayoral race. Okay, no big deal, I expect that from the right. Something did get to me though:
Or Jane Pitfield (who would be my choice)? Pitfield (the most photogenic of the three) is currently City Councillor for East York. Her website says she kibbutzed when she was in university. In Jew-hating toronto, that might work against her, but who knows?
Jew-hating? Ummmm... Who was mayor before Miller? That's right, our pure Aryan friend, Mel Lastman! (Sarcasm!) Seriously folks, the whole entire city selected Mel Lastman as our mayor - not once, but twice! And he was a popular mayor too, something impressive given that he was in denial about homelessness, made ethnic slurs about Kenya, shook hands with the leaders of a major crime gang, spent most of his term of office in Florida, was sued by two illegitmate children, and managed to make us laughingstock by calling in the army for snow!

So yeah, endorse any and all mayoral candidates you'd like, but this is a slur against me and my whole city. No serious element of the city's political or media machinations has attacked Pitfield on this basis. As a Torontonian I am disgusted to be called "Jew-hating" for having 416 as my area code.
Tags: .